Making the Transition to Vegetarian
Making the transition to Vegetarian is easy if you aren’t afraid to cook. Try this Vegetable Lasagna. It is packed with flavour and is super easy to make.
Serves: 10-12 people
This recipe is for a flavour packed lasagna. Try it today
Veggie meat lasagna:
- 1 block of mozzarella or marble cheese
- 1 box of oven ready lasagna
- 2 packs of Ground veggie meat
- 1 onion minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 carrot grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1tsp of fresh basil, thyme and oregano chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbls of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Spinach mix
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of mushrooms (optional)
- 1 onion minced
- 1 tbls of EVOO
- * Heat a pan over medium heat and add 1 tbls of EVOO.
- * Once the pan is hot add the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent in colour.
- * Add the ground meat carrot and salt/pepper to taste, once the mix is heated all the way through turn off the heat. Be creative with spices you can add any flavours to the meat as you desire.
- * Heat up a pan add 1 tbls of EVOO
- * Add the onions and let cook until they are translucent in colour
- * Mix in the mushrooms (optional) and spinach. Let the spinach wilt and set aside. You can also use frozen spinach if that's what you have available.
- * In a medium sized sauce pot add 2 tbls of EVOO and let it heat up
- * Add 2 cloves of garlic whole and let it turn golden brown in colour.
- * Add the diced tomatoes 1 cup of water and the tomato paste.
- * Add all the fresh herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste.
- * Crush the tomatoes and garlic with a smasher until sauce is chunky in consistency mix in the meat mix.
Assembling the lasagna:
- * Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit on convectional.
- * Spray a 13 x 9 x2 (the large rectangle tray) glass or aluminum oven friendly baking tray
- * Layer the ingredients in the tray starting with a little tomato sauce to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom.
- * Lay out the lasagna pasta strips so that the entire base of tray is covered
- * Add another layer of tomato sauce followed by spinach then a layer of cheese
- * Repeat this two or three times depending on how deep your tray is
- * Set aside a hand full of cheese to add at the end
- * Cover the try with aluminum foil and place it in the middle rack of your oven. Bake for 45 minutes then remove the aluminum foil and add the remaining cheese
- * Put the lasagna back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes uncovered
- * Once finished let it sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting it in to portions so that the cheese does not slide all over the place. Serves about 10-12 people
- * This last step is crucial to the success of this lasagna, serve a piece to your non-vegetarian friend and watch them enjoy it as much as you did!