Mushrooms Stuffed With Soy Feta Served With Rice
Mushrooms Stuffed With Soy Feta Served With Rice have always been one of my favourite dishes. I have served them on a bed of rice with Sriracha sauce, Edamames, and a leaf of Coriander.
Serves: 6-8 people
- 4oz extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomato strips
- 1 large clove garlic, slivered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ tsp drained capers
- ½ tsp mixed whole black and red peppercorns
- ¼ tsp hot pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
- Drain tofu, wrap in a clean thick kitchen towel or paper towels and place on a dinner plate. Place a second dinner plate on top, place a heavy can on top and set aside for 1 hour. Transfer to a resealable freezer ban and freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Let frozen tofu thaw at room temperature and cut into 1- inch cubes. In a bowel, combine salt, vinegar and water. Add tofu cubes and immerse in liquid. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours. (Vary the salty flavour of the soy feta by increasing or decreasing the salt brine soaking time) Remove tofu from brine and carefully pat dry. Discard brine.
- In a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, capers, peppercorns, hot pepper flakes and oregano. Add tofu and gently stir to distribute ingredients. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Before stuffing mushrooms let mixture stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow oil to re-liquefy.
- In a bowl mix 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp of fresh crushed garlic.
- Add mushrooms to bowl and gently coat the mushrooms with the mixture.
- Place mushrooms on a cookie sheet.
- Stuff each mushroom with soy feta
- Put in oven in broil setting for approx. 10 mins. or until soy feta is browned.