Mushrooms Stuffed With Soy Feta Served With Rice
Mushrooms Stuffed With Soy Feta Served With Rice have always been one of my favourite dishes. I have served them on a bed of rice with Sriracha sauce, Edamames, and a leaf of Coriander.
Serves: 6-8 people
Mushrooms stuffed with Feta Cheese have always been one of my favourite dishes. I have served them on a bed of rice with Sriracha sauce, Edamames, and a leaf of Coriander.
Ingredients for Soy Feta
- 4oz extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomato strips
- 1 large clove garlic, slivered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ tsp drained capers
- ½ tsp mixed whole black and red peppercorns
- ¼ tsp hot pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
Ingredients for Mushroom preparation
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
Preparation of soy feta
- Drain tofu, wrap in a clean thick kitchen towel or paper towels and place on a dinner plate. Place a second dinner plate on top, place a heavy can on top and set aside for 1 hour. Transfer to a resealable freezer ban and freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Let frozen tofu thaw at room temperature and cut into 1- inch cubes. In a bowel, combine salt, vinegar and water. Add tofu cubes and immerse in liquid. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours. (Vary the salty flavour of the soy feta by increasing or decreasing the salt brine soaking time) Remove tofu from brine and carefully pat dry. Discard brine.
- In a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, capers, peppercorns, hot pepper flakes and oregano. Add tofu and gently stir to distribute ingredients. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Before stuffing mushrooms let mixture stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow oil to re-liquefy.
Preparation of Mushrooms
- In a bowl mix 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp of fresh crushed garlic.
- Add mushrooms to bowl and gently coat the mushrooms with the mixture.
- Place mushrooms on a cookie sheet.
- Stuff each mushroom with soy feta
- Put in oven in broil setting for approx. 10 mins. or until soy feta is browned.
The stuffed mushrooms can be served on their own as a side dish but I like to serve it on a bed of rice (as pictured) garnished with my favourite hot sauce. They can also be served with mashed potatoes. The mushrooms can stay in the fridge (stored in an air tight container) for a week. Try it and enjoy.
I love this dish